Recent Posts

Thursday, January 31, 2013

365 Days Ago: January '12

Welcome to our new monthly section, in which I share the photos (and occasional thoughts) that never got to see the light of day during The Great Voluntary Blogging Exhile Of 2012 - we're calling it that, now. This is all old material. And yet somehow, I'm still very much in love with it. Time travel!





It's been a year. I don't wear that skirt, that headband, or rosaries anymore. Time flies.




I bought a tube of red lipstick, wore it twice, and then left it to collect dust.








Experiments in freelensing. It was two in the morning and I had an exam to take the next day.



And this is Agramonte, where I sometimes go to sit on a bench and contemplate the fleeting nature of life. Sort of. Though the first time I went out of pure curiosity, because I think you can learn a lot about a city and its people by the way it treats its dead. I've been to many cemeteries - some feel neutral, some feel opressive, and some feel right out of a Victorian horror story. This one feels peaceful. You're in this contained space right in the middle of the city, and even if there are angry drivers and frustrated office workers and disturbing cat-callers right outside the walls, on the inside there's nothing but a handful of silent, focused people, and a fair share of wandering cats and mischievous seagulls (I swear I've seen one steal the metallic top of a candle). It feels like a bubble in ways that the parks around here do not. So I keep dropping by, most often without planning it, because it might just be the one context where I can sit in a daze and stare at the void for as long as I want without drawing attention to myself. It's a safe place to be alone with my less-than-desirable thoughts.

And it's big enough that I can walk around until my feet ache and nothing else matters.
You know. Perspective through priorities. It's a thing.

xx

0 comentários:

Post a Comment