Recent Posts

Friday, May 17, 2013

Fancy Film Friday #2: Sucker Punch



Sucker Punch, 2011 (USA)
A young girl is institutionalized by her abusive stepfather. Retreating to an alternative reality as a coping strategy, she envisions a plan which will help her escape.

When I first watched this movie, I was in a nearly-empty movie theatre. The opening sequence chilled me to the bone, and the very end had me struggling for a tissue. My first words after the movie were... wanna go again?

It blew me away. It's an uncomfortable movie, yes. It's uncomfortable, and thought-provoking. It's a movie about rape, about coping, about sexuality, about freedom, about oppression, and you're being manipulated through most of it. The dragons, the corsets, the brothel, the katana and the helicopter and the zeppelin... none of that is real. We see our main character's fantasies, her projections, her pantomimes played by a persona who shares little more than her looks and her desire to escape - not even her name. She's so detached from herself, so curled up in her own inner world, that she doesn't let us see what's actually happening to her, behind that flimsy curtain of deception that we're not allowed to pull open until her quest is finished. Is it sucessful? That depends. From my perspective, yes, it is. Not fully, but enough. You can't always win everything, or save everyone. And to me, it's more than enough that she fought back until she couldn't anymore.

xx

0 comentários:

Post a Comment