Recent Posts

Friday, May 24, 2013

Fancy Film Friday #3: Goth



Goth, 2008 (Japan)
Initially happy to exchange books on morbid subjects, two high school students begin investigating a series of recent murders.

I'll admit it. I first watched this because of Kanata Hongo. He's kind of pretty but also kind of... creepy-looking, and that's always a good combo in my book. I ended up loving the movie for plenty of other reasons. The imagery, the plot twists... but mostly this relationship, guys. It kills me. I've seen the movie so many times, and I still don't know what to think about it. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back, you know. Dynamics. Relationships. Stares and snarls and smiles and the symbolism behind every little word and every little gesture.

There's a novel, too. Or, let me rephrase that, this movie is actually the adaptation of a novel - can't say I've read it yet, but I've read Summer, Fireworks, And My Corpse by the same author, and let me tell you, it was brilliant. Everything I've ever wanted from Japanese horror, and then some. I very nearly dropped a frying pan on my foot a few minutes after finishing the first short story - it's got that kind of ending. You read the story, you like the story, you put down the story.

And then five minutes later the story grabs you by the neck and pulls your eyes open and good lord, how did you miss that.

Unbelievable.
xx

0 comentários:

Post a Comment