Recent Posts

Friday, May 31, 2013

Fancy Film Friday #4: Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders



Valerie A Týden Divu, 1970 (Czechoslovakia)
Inspired by fairy-tales, a surreal story in which love, fear, sex and religion merge into one fantastic world.

Here's a secret. I don't understand this movie. I understand the idea behind it, and the archetypes played by each character, but I can't follow the story and halfway I just get so distracted by Helena Anýzová (that would be the lady in black with the asymmetric hairdo and the neck brooch) and her frankly stunning face that I don't even know what's supposed to be happening.

But that's okay. This is still a very pretty movie, and a very nice way to spend a couple of hours. IMDB says it's referenced in The Company Of Wolves (1984), another very pretty movie, inspired by the writings of Angela Carter no less (though inspired may not be correct, since Carter got to write the actual script...), and I know the first time I read that I felt really outraged because how dare anyone say that movie was inspired by anything other than Angela Carter's own genius... but then, turns out, Carter watched this movie, was apparently "impressed with it", and "admitted Valerie heavily influenced her own script". Isn't it wonderful how these things connect to each other? I think it is.

Meanwhile, this movie is also relevant because it managed to get me interested in Czechoslovak cinema. This happened last year, and I regret to announce I still haven't watched that many movies... but I'm working on it, with a never-ending list of titles to watch in the summer.

As of now, I think it's safe to recommend The Cremator (1969), Morgiana (1972), and Daisies (1966).

That's in order of magnificence, by the way.
xx

0 comentários:

Post a Comment