Recent Posts

Friday, November 22, 2013

Enchanted Doll




Our weekly dose of Friday Inspiration has arrived! But first, a story.

I have a private board on my Pinterest. It's called The Bone Room, and if at first it was used to hold images of articulated animal skeletons (very important, if you're me and have had a cat skeleton for a year), now it's kind of turned into my depository for things I want to post about. Eventually. I never really planned for this "inspiration" thing to become a regular feature on the blog, but I think it's kind of helped me narrow down what fits my personal aesthetic, and what doesn't. I'm a very visual person, but being so detail-oriented I can usually find something to like in pretty much everything. But how do I reconcile my love of streamlined monochrome with my love of baroque exaggeration? I don't know, but I guess we can consider that my new crusade.

Anyway. Today's featured artist is Marina Bychkova, a Russian-Canadian figurative artist, and founder of Enchanted Doll, a luxury toy label of exquisite, porcelain dolls.

More than mere playthings, Enchanted Dolls are elegantly sculpted and articulated works of art. Strikingly nude, engraved or adorned in opulent sculptural costumes of precious metals, gemstones, and rare found objects, each doll intricately conveys an aspect of our humanity. Unique and delicate, their forms evoke a strong emotional response, haunting us with their vulnerability. All at once innocent and sexual, Enchanted Dolls depict highly stylized images of femininity, while at the same time reflecting on life’s playful naiveté.

The first time I saw these, they were featured in some art blog (I really can't remember the name, I think it was more than a year ago), and the commenters kept mentioning how the dolls made them uncomfortable, due to them being anatomically correct and whatnot. Honestly, I find that striking about them. The discomfort. At first, I felt it too, and it made me wonder why. Is it because dolls are predominantly objects we associate with children? So does that mean I think genitals are inappropriate for children? Or is because adding genitals to a doll means sexualising it? But then, I would be saying that full nudity is inherently sexual, and I really don't think it is. Am I just a prude? Am I just playing into society's fear of genitals? Deep thoughts to be having around a doll, huh.

What do you think?
xx




0 comentários:

Post a Comment